26 October 2012

Old Book Gleanings #2 - The VMI Bullet

(Left click, right click to enlarge)

This is a scan from another old book in my library: The Bullet, which was the handbook given to all Virginia Military Institute freshmen. This one was published in 1933 and the name in the flyleaf is "John Carrico." I thought the prayer was quite interesting. Any recent alumni from the Institute care to comment or might know if that prayer is included in the current handbook? 

Also related, I wrote the following in my book about Stonewall Jackson's black Sunday school class:

Despite the complaints by the Presbyterian townspeople, [Francis] Smith was undeterred. Under his leadership, VMI experienced several religious revivals among the cadets. The two most notable occurred in 1856 (during Jackson’s tenure on campus) and 1869.

During the 1869 revival, cadets would meet in Section Room no. 10 and listen as Commandant Smith led them in prayer and Bible study. Smith’s wife wrote inspirational poetry, and this was distributed among the cadets. Mary Lee was also involved in encouraging the conversion of the student body at VMI. On April 20, 1869, she sent the following correspondence to her friend Mrs. Eleanor Burwell, who was staying with the Smiths at the time:

"It gives me great pleasure, my dear friend, to send you these little tracts. If they pour comfort into one anxious heart, or enlighten one dark soul, they will have fulfilled their mission. I have put my name to some I had time to examine, as it might save you the trouble of doing so. They are all good, I believe. Those of Doddridge I know are, as his work was so useful to me when first my young heart was led to seek my God. I pray that many hearts may be touched now, as well officers as cadets, and that the impression now received, and the interest now felt may be enduring, and bring forth the fruit of righteousness."

1 comment:

Pool Management said...

Id love that book


And this is amazing story:

""It gives me great pleasure, my dear friend, to send you these little tracts. If they pour comfort into one anxious heart, or enlighten one dark soul, they will have fulfilled their mission. I have put my name to some I had time to examine, as it might save you the trouble of doing so. They are all good, I believe. Those of Doddridge I know are, as his work was so useful to me when first my young heart was led to seek my God. I pray that many hearts may be touched now, as well officers as cadets, and that the impression now received, and the interest now felt may be enduring, and bring forth the fruit of righteousness."